8/5/13

Framing and re-framing

first frame on "Two Blades of Grass"
I had originally framed this painting in a simple black frame with off-white mat.  Being that this is a pastel painting, I had placed a floater in between the painting and mat.  This is so any pastel dust that may fall, will fall behind the mat keeping it clean.
 
Recently I taught a watercolor class to adults, where I live in Zachary, LA.  One of my students offered to make me a unique frame out of old barn wood.  He did a great job and I decided to re frame this cow.  I think she looks great!

re-framed "Two Blades of Grass"
I think she belongs in this frame.  I used a framing method called Passe-Partout Framing.  I used an acrylic spacer between the UV glass and the painting.  I decided not to use mat board.  PH neutral tape was used to seal the glass to a strong backing board.  The painting is now sandwiched between the glass and backboard.  Should I ever want to change this frame, it lifts out as one unit.  No air or humidity can seep in to cause damage.  I read about this method on Richard McKinley's Pastel Pointers Blog.  See link for full details http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/pastel-pointers-blog-passe-partout-framing
 
I love the look of this painting without mat.  I have already framed my "Looking Back" pastel cow painting in another barn wood frame.  It looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment